Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wet Paint a la Vincent

FINISHED?

oil on gallery-wrap canvas (sides are painted), 16"x20"


I worked this some more, adding more orange, golds and yellows... well, and greens, crimson... I believe I am finally finished with the "Vincent's Asylum Wheatfields." I painted three of the sides and just need them to dry to paint the forth.

I really appreciate feedback, so feel free to post a comment if you see something you'd recommend adjusting.


I'm doing another painting "a la Vincent," this time inspired by one of his "Chair" paintings:



I'm using my own "Irises Chair" in the new composition. So, in essence-- it will be a painting within a painting. The chair as subject matter is very symbolic. Here is my chair:



I like the position and angle of this chair and the way it seems to float, with no cast shadow.

But, I prefer this environment (below). I really like the bricks and the directional elements on the fence. However-- I think the fence ought to be yellow or citron...



I toned the canvas with (I'm not kidding!) cadmium orange. I plan to leave "outlines" from the orange background. I'm very impatient, so I covered my canvas with acrylic paint (acrylic dries faster than oil). I will do this one in water-soluable oil paint on a 16"x20" canvas.

Here's my rough ink sketch, which I will now transfer on to the toned canvas using the grid method:

You probably cannot see the grid I drew on the canvas. I used a very sharp no. 2 pencil, and made the lines extremely light so the pencil won't smudge when I paint over it.



Ok-- off I go!!!! I just looooooooooooooooove to paint like Vincent!!!!!!!!!

No comments: