Saturday, February 23, 2008

More on Vincent



I've always been taken with (what is thought to be) Vincent's final painting, ever since I saw it at the "Van Gogh's Van Goghs" exhibit when the large collection from Amsterdam visited LACMA (LA Co. Museum of Art).

The original canvas measures almost 20" x 40" and was painted during a prolific spurt in the last weeks of his life, in which he produced dozens of paintings and drawings. My canvas measures 10" x 30" so it is not proportional to Vincent's, nor did I intend to paint an exact copy, but rather I attempted to paint "like a madman"-- fast and furiously.

I woke up this morning at 3am, started the painting and worked for about 6 hours. Later this afternoon I spent another two hours and I think it's finished. This one was really fun to paint, although I couldn't help but feel a certain ache in my heart knowing the artists' state of mind during the time he painted it.

He told his brother, Theo he felt "sadness and extreme loneliness..."and "... continue to feel the storm which threatens..."

Painted in July of 1990, it was never signed. On July 29, Vincent died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.


kwg Wheatfields With Crows After Vincent , 10"x 30" oil on canvas



Detail

No comments: